Sunday 24 March 2013

5 Video from a lesson on CONFIDENTIALITY


This video is the finished product and I do apologise as it was not in the guidelines to show a finished product, however I felt it relevant that it be shown.

 I have permission from the only student who has her face shown in this video.

To describe the process and learning opportunities behind this, I shall set the scene.

I teach a small group of students who are working towards gaining a CERTIFICATE II qualification in Community Services. Some of the students in the class have some barriers to their learning which include literacy and numeracy difficulties and other learning difficulties. For this reason my pedagogical style is to keep writing or note taking to a minimum, and  instead to engage the students in meaningful and appropriate discussion and practise. These students have not gone out into the Industry as yet, but will do so in 4 weeks time.

The session shown in the video above was on the topic of  "confidentiality" and how important it is when hearing all kinds of information about the children and families that they would like to ultimately work with.

By using a project based approach the students together brainstormed words to create an ACROSTIC POEM  using the letters CONFIDENTIALITY. They then chose music, rehearsed how they would show their words and gave me ideas on how it should be presented in its final format. This approach, I explained was similar to how they would work with groups of children i.e. setting up provocations or exploring interests and following them through to promote learning.

This group of students worked for 3.5 hours on this plus it took an hour to edit and 4 hours to upload onto YOU TUBE.

Rather than packing up the activity and changing to our " scheduled" next lesson after the break at 11:15 am - we kept going as the interest  was still there.

This in itself was modelling to the students a FLEXIBLE approach to routines in early childhood services.

6 comments:

  1. I really liked the film! A very nice way to learn- not only for students with literacy difficulties. The important words in the video shows that the rules for confidentiality are quite the same, If you live in Australia or Sweden, it does´nt matter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What nice video!
    Did the students put the video onto Youtube by themselves?
    What were the problem that it toke 4 hours to put the video onto Youtube?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I put it up - I think the 4 hours was cause there was movement and music and maybe my Internet connection run slow that night - also maybe the length ..

      They wanted me to so they could show their families

      Delete
  3. I realy like this!

    What a participation! This whit youtube is not easy but I think youre outcome was great! Nice to get so much inspired from you!

    Is it often you have possibility to take more time for one project? If I understand you right you skip the lessen that was on the schema, just for the students need? If it is that way- it´s great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I have lots of freedom to teach based on the interests of the students -

      It is up to me to plan inspiring and attractive lessons as the facilitator - I do admit to often as we all do - working well beyond my official " paid " hours of employment to do this .

      Delete