Sunday 24 March 2013

Photo 6 ONLINE teaching

This is me teaching "ONLINE" using the ADOBE Connect website classroom and a WIKI. This style of teaching is for the students, who, due to their location within the INSTITUTE  or due to their work commitments are unable to attend face to face classes.

We call this style of delivery Blended or Mixed Mode. The student studies from home but comes online regularly - once a week or once a month depending on the course and has access to a lesson prepared by the teacher and has the opportunity to discuss and be engaged in the learning via a chat pod.
The teacher is able to talk to the students as a group over the microphone.

This style of learning is not unique to our industry or our institution and is used in many places across Australia  and the world, but it was a learning curve and new to me when I began doing it 5 years ago.

 I enjoy this method of delivery as I enjoy the challenge of engaging students when you can't see their face or read their body language and they can't see yours either. Relying on your voice only to capture and maintain their interest.

To answer the final questions for this series.

What excites me about my teaching area? - I get to teach in a classroom or from my desk I also get to go out into industry to work with trainees on the job - so the variety and flexibility is there to always have something to be researching or creating to use as a resource.

Challenges that I encounter in my subject area? I teach over 30 separate units of competence over the qualifications of:

  • Cert II in Community Services
  • Cert III in Children's Services
  • Diploma in Early Childhood Education and Care

Ensuring that the information disseminated to students is current and within legislation and regulations, means that a great deal of professional development and preparation time is spent reading and sourcing this information and making it relevant to the students.

The pedagogical approaches I use and why?

I have found that the most effective form of teaching is to ensure that the subject matter that is being delivered matches the client/ student group. I prefer to use a mixture of below within each class and depending on the level of qualification i.e. Diploma students I would expect more independent note taking as this is the AQF level of their qualification where as at a Cert II level there would be structure and use of worksheets as some student may struggle with taking their own notes.

These are what I mostly use:

  • PowerPoints of summarised information from which I speak on the topic
  • Photocopied Handouts ( try to keep to a minimum for sustainability)
  • Brainstorming as a whole group and small groups on the white board or paper
  • Research using computers in small  groups or individuals
  • Practical demonstrations such as in how to wash hands or change a nappy
  • Use of play session environment to put the theory into practise
  • Simulated environment and role plays to look at scenarios and ethical dilemmas

11 comments:

  1. Very interesting! It seems that you have many and different students. The practical demonstrations you tell us about is not common in swedish education in schools nowadays. These practical knowledge learns by the supervisor at the internship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - we are really trying to make even the theory very practical to meet the needs of the learning styles of the students

      Delete
  2. You write very detailed and very "painting"!
    I wonder this students you teach by Adobe, do they ever come to school?
    Have you ever met them i real life?
    Do you think the have the same skills when they finish school as they you teach face to face?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about he detail. I thought it was how it was supposed to be- I was following the guidelines hence my long writing . Also I guess I have much to share . I enjoy writing.

      Delete
  3. The online students come to workshops 5 times a year - so I do meet them yes. Due to the external nature of their study and that they have the same practical experiences as the face to face students they are usually prepared and motivated .

    ReplyDelete
  4. We enjoy your writing- you do have a lot to share :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It´s very interesting to read what and how you do things :)
    So please continue to write in details!
    Do your students have workplace-based learning?
    If..do you go there to visit them?
    How do you do with them you teach over Adobe (if the live far away, I mean)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So yes they do have workplace learning and if they live far away I ring up teachers from other campuses and arrange one of them to visit the student.

      The student must have 100 hours for their course on the job .

      This is usually doing 4 or 5 of the " play sessions" where the children come to the campus and then the do 2 straight weeks of 5 days a week, 8 hours a day in a child care centre or a preschool.

      While they are there someone from my work, my colleagues go and visit them for 2 visits of 2 hours a visit to check their work and observe there skills.

      This is for the entry level cert III qualification

      Delete
  6. I love to take part of your interacting! It is so fun to see what goes on in this blog and the sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I could go visit your school just to learn more! You give so much insperiration! You seems to juse the web and new technoligy as a great aid, to catch all students! I want to learn more from you=)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well instead of this " virtual exchange " business - let's do a swap !!!! :)

      Ha ha ..

      Thanks for the kind words and encouragements

      Delete